Headlines

The NewsFuror

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Singer Doherty 'mourning' drugs

Pete Doherty
Babyshambles plan to play some new material on their UK tour
Babyshambles frontman Pete Doherty has spoken of his struggle to stay off drugs after a court ordered him to complete a stint in rehab.

Speaking to NME magazine he said: "After years of entrenched drug abuse you have a mourning period. I know it's a bit sad, but I'm in mourning."

The 28-year-old also admitted staying sober was "hard work".

But a spokesman refused to comment on newspaper photographs of the singer apparently injecting heroin.

Tuesday's edition of the Sun claimed the series of images were taken from a mobile phone film shot on Friday.

Sleeping and wrestling

Doherty, who starts a UK arena tour with his band on 22 November, told NME he would "embrace" his new way.

Asked by the magazine why he had managed to stay sober after his most recent stay in a rehab centre, he said: "I don't know what it is. I can't really put my finger on it, it's just the way it is, I'm afraid."

The singer, who performed at the MTV Europe Music Awards last week, jokingly revealed he spends most of his time sleeping and wrestling with his friends.

Doherty also said that Babyshambles had been working hard on new material.

"They're coming thick and fast at the moment - some real belters. Mostly I'm proud of the new album. I just want to get on the road and play those songs," he told the magazine in the interview, which is published on Wednesday.

Doherty, who was recently handed a suspended prison term for drugs and motoring offences, said he does not think it will be easy to stay out of trouble.

"The chances of me not getting arrested once in the next 18 months are quite slim really," he said.

No comments: