Headlines

The NewsFuror

Friday, November 23, 2007

Mourinho 'rules out' England post

Jose Mourinho
Mourinho won two Premier League titles with Chelsea
Former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho does not want to succeed Steve McClaren as England manager, BBC Sport understands.

Mourinho, 44, has been out of football since leaving Stamford Bridge in September but is believed to be waiting for a club rather than a national post.

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce has also said he does not want the England job.

But ex-Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello says he is interested and Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp and Reading's Steve Coppell have not ruled themselves out.

Radio 5 Live's football correspondent Jonathan Legard said: "Mourinho is apparently champing at the bit to return to football management.

"But not for a job, however lucrative and high profile, that only allows him to do what he does so well - working with players - a couple of times every few months.

"He's like a lion in a cage, I was told, but a national job, even such a special post like England, would only appeal at a later stage in his career and the chances are even then that would only be the Portugal job.

I've got a massive job at Reading, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm very happy with that
Reading manager Steve Coppell

"Far more attractive for the former Chelsea title winner at the moment is a top European club vacancy and as he waits for that, so the FA must come to terms with the size of their task."

The Football Association's chief executive Brian Barwick has begun his search for a replacement for McClaren, who was sacked on Thursday after England failed to reach Euro 2008.

And Capello, 61, who has won league titles with Real, AC Milan and Roma, said: "It would be a beautiful challenge. I am the right age."

Allardyce was Bolton manager when he was touted for the England job which McClaren got 18 months ago.

He has since become Newcastle manager and says he wants to honour the new contract he recently signed.

"I am not in a position like I was at my old club where the chairman openly extended the invitation for me to go for the position," Allardyce said.

I wouldn't look any further than Hoddle
Former England captain Paul Ince

Redknapp said: "Anybody would love to manage their country but I don't see it coming my way.

"It's a great job for somebody. It's an opportunity to work with the best players in this country and for me still, despite what anyone might think, a group of some of the best players in the world."

Coppell did not rule himself out of the running although he said he was still under contract at Reading.

"It's a non-issue, I have a contract here," he said. "I'm English so people link me.

"I've got a massive job at Reading, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm very happy with that."

While Capello has attracted support from punters, Mourinho's lack of interest leaves Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill as the bookies' favourites for the job.

O'Neill was rejected by the Football Association after interviewing for the role before McClaren's appointment and may be reluctant to put himself in the frame again.

Meanwhile, former England captain Paul Ince believes the FA should re-appoint Glenn Hoddle.

The 50-year-old was England boss for three years before being sacked in February 1999 after suggesting that disabled people were being punished for sins in a previous life.

Ince told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I wouldn't look any further than Hoddle. He did a very good job and he wasn't sacked for footballing reasons.

"The FA has got to forget about what happened years ago, they've got to be bold and brave.

"Hoddle is sharp, bright, meticulous and he's English, but whether the FA is prepared to go back is not my decision."

Capello was sacked by Real at the end of last season despite winning the Spanish title and he is available as he is now working as a commentator for Italian television.

No comments: