Headlines

The NewsFuror

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Winehouse booed as tour kicks off

Amy Winehouse
At one point, Winehouse walked off the stage mid-song
Amy Winehouse was booed by fans as she delivered a shambolic set on the first night of her UK tour in Birmingham.

The singer also dedicated a song to her husband, Blake Fielder-Civil, who is being held on remand pending charges including GBH.

During the show, the 24-year-old told the crowd: "To them people booing, wait 'til my husband gets out of incarceration. And I mean that."

In the summer, she had pulled out of a string of gigs citing "health issues".

'Confident'

The singer performed hits including Back To Black, Tears Dry On Their Own and Rehab.

Before the song Wake Up Alone, she told the audience at the National Indoor Arena: "This is for my husband."

But during an encore cover of The Zutons' Valerie she stopped singing, dropped her microphone and walked off the stage.

Mr Fielder-Civil has been remanded in custody at Pentonville Prison, accused of perverting the course of justice and assaulting a pub landlord.

Ms Winehouse's support act, Remi Nicole, said: "She's professional and she knows what she's got to do.

"I'll be there to support her. If it was my husband, I'd be a bit upset.

"I have learnt all the songs on the Back to Black album so if she does need me to stand in, I can don a beehive and go ahead," she added.

The singer also had support from Jamie Cullum, who toured with her four years ago.

"I don't think she'd want to miss a tour because she likes playing too much," he said.

When she did sing she sounded phenomenal but she was not ready to be up on that stage
Audience member Zoe Giorgio

She earned a mixed reaction from the audience.

Afterwards one fan, Zoe Giorgio, said: "When she did sing she sounded phenomenal but she was not ready to be up on that stage. She was so weak, so vulnerable."

Her 15-year-old daughter Nicola Giorgio added: "I felt sorry for her because she kept crying.

"Every time she did a song she put 'Blakey' or 'I love my Blakey' into it, and she changed the song Me and Mr Jones into Mr Blakey."

Gary Atwell, from Rugby, said "streams" of people left during the concert.

"I went out for a sneaky cigarette half way through and at least 40 people left, just in that five minutes," he said.

However Kelly and Sam from Birmingham were impressed by her performance.

"If my husband was in prison I wouldn't have the bottle to stand up on stage and do that, so I think fair play to her I really do," said Kelly. "Her fans should support her."

No comments: