Headlines

The NewsFuror

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Sharapova to miss Stuttgart event


Maria Sharapova has been ruled out of the Stuttgart Grand Prix after failing to recover from a shoulder injury.

Sharapova, 20, has been hampered by shoulder problems since March and has not played in a tournament since the US Open earlier this month.

She is now expected to make a comeback at the WTA event in Madrid in November.

"I was really looking forward to the Stuttgart tournament and I'm very sorry my injury hasn't cleared up in time," said the 2004 Wimbledon champion.

"I'll do everything I can to return to the tour as quickly as possible."

Sharapova, the world number four, was forced to miss Russia's recent Fed Cup final victory over Italy because of the injury.

The Stuttgart line-up still contains nine of the world's top 10 players, including defending champion Nadia Petrova.

No comments: