Headlines

The NewsFuror

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Hamilton keen to win 'fair' title


Lewis Hamilton has told that he does not want to win an F1 title through disqualifications for other drivers.

Kimi Raikkonen's win in Brazil secured the world title for the Finn by one point from Hamilton but McLaren are to launch an appeal into the placings.

"To have the world title taken away is a bit cruel and probably not good for the sport," Hamilton told 5live Sport.

"It would feel weird after Kimi did such a fantastic job in the last two races and won on Sunday."

He added: "I want to win it on the track. You want to do it in style, you want to win the race or battling it out for the lead.

"Being promoted after other people have been thrown out is not the way I want to do it."

McLaren are to challenge Sunday's result after fuel irregularities by Williams and BMW Sauber went unpunished by race stewards but Hamilton, who finished seventh, believes he will have more chances to win a world title.

"I'm only 22 and there's going to be plenty more opportunities for me to win the world championship. I have no doubt that we can do that in the future," he added.

"It has been a phenomenal year and it has just been a real pleasure to be part of the team.

"I'm extremely proud of them and of my family and everyone that's supported me to get me where I am."

Earlier, McLaren team-mate Fernando Alonso said he would be "embarrassed" if Hamilton won the world title on appeal.

"If he wins the title because of this it wouldn't be fair. I'd be embarrassed for this sport," said the Spaniard.

Alonso gave his backing to Raikkonen as a worthy winner, saying: "Raikkonen is the deserved champion.

"If you have more points, you are the deserved champion, just like in football. Kimi has won six races and Hamilton, like me, has won four."

No comments: