Headlines

The NewsFuror

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Bonds to part company with Giants


Home run record holder Barry Bonds will leave the San Francisco Giants at the end of the season after the club decided not to renew his contract.


"Although I am disappointed, I've always said baseball is a business and I respect their decision," the 43-year-old told his personal website.


Bonds, who beat Hank Aaron's all-time record of 755 home runs in August, added he had no intention of retiring.


"There is more baseball in me and I plan on continuing my career," he said.


"My quest for a World Series ring continues."


Unfortunately for Bonds, his record-breaking feat has been overshadowed by claims he has used steroids.


The left-hander has never tested positive for drug use and denies knowingly taking performance-enhancing substances.


Nevertheless, he has been dogged by rumours since his home run tally took off after he turned 35, moving past the legendary Babe Ruth into second place in May last year with his 715th career home run.


Bonds added that he regretted not knowing he would be leaving the Giants sooner so he could say a proper goodbye to club's fans.


"I don't have nor do I want any ill feelings towards the organisation," he said.


"I just wish I had known sooner so we had more time to say our goodbyes and celebrate the best 15 years of my life."


Bonds hit his 756th homer in the game against the Washington Nationals on 7 August.

No comments: